Makes about 4-1/2 dozen cookies
|1||cup (4 ounces) sliced almonds, divided|
|2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into pieces|
|2||tablespoons freshly grated orange peel|
|1||teaspoon almond extract|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 3/4 cup almonds in single layer in large baking pan. Bake 6 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Cool completely in pan. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place toasted almonds in food processor. Process using on/off pulses until almonds are coarsely chopped.
- Add flour, butter, sugar, cornstarch, orange peel and almond extract to food processor. Process using on/off pulses until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press dough firmly and evenly into 10X8-3/4-inch rectangle on large ungreased cookie sheet. Score dough into 1-1/4-inch squares. Press one slice of remaining almonds into center of each square.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until shortbread is firm when pressed and lightly browned. Immediately cut into squares along score lines with sharp knife. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely. Store loosely covered at room temperature up to 1 week.
Check out more recipes for Nut