YIELD Makes 12 servings
Jazz up a packaged spice cake mix with orchard-fresh apple cider and a fun marzipan garnish for a cake that is guaranteed to be irresistible.
|1||recipe Marzipan (recipe)|
|Red, yellow and green food colorings|
|1||package (18-1/4 ounces) spice cake mix|
|1‑1/4||cups apple cider|
|1/3||cup vegetable oil|
|Apple Cider Filling (recipe)|
|Apple Cider Frosting (recipe)|
|2||cups coarsely chopped walnuts|
- Prepare Marzipan. Divide into thirds; place each part in separate small bowl. Tint 1 bowl of marzipan with red food coloring, another bowl with yellow food coloring and remaining bowl of marzipan with green food coloring; cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Combine cake mix, apple cider, oil and eggs in medium bowl. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Let cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Prepare Apple Cider Filling and Apple Cider Frosting. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; top with Apple Cider Filling. Top with second cake layer; frost top and side of cake with Apple Cider Frosting. Press nuts into frosting on side of cake.
- Form red and yellow Marzipan into apple shapes. Place cloves in tops of apples for stems. Roll out green Marzipan to 1/4-inch thickness; cut out leaf shapes as desired. Arrange on top and around side of cake.
Pies & tarts come in all shapes, sizes, flavors and tastes, but the reaction from your friends and family will always be the same with our recipes. They'll want more.
Learn the culinary skills needed to get your advanced degree in cupcake baking. No experience necessary.