Apple Cider Cake
YIELD Makes 12 servings
Jazz up a packaged spice cake mix with orchard-fresh apple cider and a fun marzipan garnish for a cake that is guaranteed to be irresistible.
|1||recipe Marzipan (recipe)|
|Red, yellow and green food colorings|
|1||package (18-1/4 ounces) spice cake mix|
|1‑1/4||cups apple cider|
|1/3||cup vegetable oil|
|Apple Cider Filling (recipe)|
|Apple Cider Frosting (recipe)|
|2||cups coarsely chopped walnuts|
- Prepare Marzipan. Divide into thirds; place each part in separate small bowl. Tint 1 bowl of marzipan with red food coloring, another bowl with yellow food coloring and remaining bowl of marzipan with green food coloring; cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Combine cake mix, apple cider, oil and eggs in medium bowl. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Let cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Prepare Apple Cider Filling and Apple Cider Frosting. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; top with Apple Cider Filling. Top with second cake layer; frost top and side of cake with Apple Cider Frosting. Press nuts into frosting on side of cake.
- Form red and yellow Marzipan into apple shapes. Place cloves in tops of apples for stems. Roll out green Marzipan to 1/4-inch thickness; cut out leaf shapes as desired. Arrange on top and around side of cake.
This recipe appears in: Cakes
You Might Also Like