YIELD Makes 2 coffeecakes
|1||can (12 ounces) evaporated milk|
|2||packages active dry yeast|
|1/4||cup warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|1/2||cup sour cream|
|6||to 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2‑1/4||to 2-3/4 cups water|
|1||package (6 ounces) dried apricots (2 cups)|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
- For coffee cakes, combine sugar and cinnamon in medium saucepan; stir in butter, evaporated milk and salt. Cook over medium heat 5 to 8 minutes or until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let cool slightly.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water in large bowl; stir in warm milk mixture, sour cream, 3 eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, by hand, to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl; turn dough over so that top is greased. Cover and let rise in warm place 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until double in size.
- For filling, combine 2-1/4 cups water and apricots in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat about 45 minutes or until apricots are tender and mixture has thickened. Add small amounts of additional water if necessary. Stir occasionally.
- Punch down dough and divide in half; let rest 10 minutes. Roll half of dough on lightly floured surface into 20X9-inch rectangle; cut into 3 (3-inch-wide) strips. Spread each strip with 1/4 cup apricot mixture to within 1/2 inch of edges. Bring 20-inch sides up together; pinch sides and ends tightly to seal well. Gently braid filled strips together. Place on large greased cookie sheet. Form into wreath; pinch ends to seal well. Repeat with remaining dough and apricot mixture. Cover and let rise in warm place 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. (Cover with aluminum foil if coffeecakes brown too quickly.) Blend beaten egg and milk in small bowl. Brush coffeecakes with egg mixture; sprinkle with additional sugar. Continue baking 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks.
This recipe appears in: Coffeecakes