Apricot Meringue Squares
Makes about 2 dozen squares
|1||cup butter, softened|
|1/3||cup granulated sugar|
|2||teaspoons grated orange peel|
|2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||jar (12 ounces) apricot jam|
|2||tablespoons orange juice|
|1||cup powdered sugar|
|Slivered almonds (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat butter, granulated sugar, vanilla and orange peel in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until smooth.
- Press into ungreased 13X9-inch baking pan. Bake 15 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Do not turn oven off.
- Combine jam and orange juice in small bowl; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled crust.
- Beat egg whites in clean large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over jam mixture with rubber spatula.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 2-inch squares. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Cookie Bars