Asparagus Chicken with Black Bean Sauce
Makes 3 to 4 servings
|5||teaspoons cornstarch, divided|
|4||teaspoons soy sauce, divided|
|1||tablespoon dry sherry|
|1||teaspoon sesame oil|
|3||boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces|
|1||tablespoon fermented, salted black beans*|
|1||teaspoon minced fresh ginger|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/2||cup chicken broth|
|1||tablespoon oyster sauce|
|1||medium yellow onion|
|3||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|1||pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and diagonally cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish|
*Fermented salted black beans (soy beans) are available in Asian markets. One tablespoon prepared Chinese black bean sauce may be substituted. If using prepared sauce, skip rinsing beans and combine sauce with ginger and garlic.
- For marinade, combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil in large bowl; mix well. Add chicken; stir to coat well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Place black beans in sieve; rinse under cold running water. Finely chop beans. Combine with ginger and garlic; set aside.
- Combine remaining 3 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce, chicken broth and oyster sauce in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Peel onion; cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges; set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in wok or large skillet over high heat. Add chicken; stir-fry until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from wok; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in wok. Add onion and asparagus; stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add water; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to wok.
- Stir chicken broth mixture; add to wok with black bean mixture. Cook until sauce boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Chinese