YIELD Makes about 1-1/2 quarts
Avocados are so plentiful in Brazil that cooks serve them in a variety of ways, including this refreshing ice cream.
|1||cup sugar, divided|
|3||ripe avocados, peeled and pitted|
|1/4||cup fresh lime juice|
- Combine milk, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla bean in medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat just until milk begins to boil; remove from heat.
- Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape seeds into saucepan; add bean halves to saucepan.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, whole eggs and egg yolk in large bowl. Beat mixture until frothy and light lemon color. Continue whisking mixture while very slowly pouring in 1 cup hot milk mixture.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into saucepan with vanilla bean. Cook over medium heat and whisk slowly until first bubble forms. Do not boil.
- Pour custard mixture through fine-meshed sieve into medium bowl set in ice water; stir custard mixture until cool. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until cold.
- Combine avocados and lime juice in medium bowl. Mash with wooden spoon or potato masher. Press avocado mixture through fine-meshed strainer with rubber spatula; stir into custard mixture.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.