Bacon and Cheese Rarebit
Makes 6 servings
|1||small loaf (8 ounces) egg bread or challah, cut into 6 (1-inch-thick) slices|
|1-1/2||tablespoons butter or margarine|
|1/2||cup beer (not dark)|
|2||teaspoons Worcestershire sauce|
|2||teaspoons Dijon mustard|
|1/8||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|2||cups (8 ounces) shredded yellow American cheese|
|1-1/2||cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese|
|12||large slices ripe tomato|
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat about 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels.
- Toast bread slices until golden brown. Cover and keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. Meanwhile, melt butter in double boiler set over simmering water. Stir in beer, Worcestershire, mustard and red pepper; heat through.
- Add cheeses, stirring constantly about 1 minute or until cheeses are melted. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- Arrange toast on greased or foil-lined 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan. Top each serving with 2 tomato slices and 2 slices bacon. Spoon about 1/4 cup cheese sauce evenly over each serving. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Transfer to individual serving plates. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Serve immediately.
Check out more recipes for European