Banana Pudding Cake
YIELD Makes 12 servings
|1||package (about 18 ounces) spice cake mix|
|1/3||cup vegetable oil|
|1||teaspoon imitation vanilla butter & nut flavoring|
|1||ripe banana, peeled and mashed (1/2 cup)|
|1||cup cold whipping cream|
|1/3||cup powdered sugar|
|4||ounces cream cheese, softened|
|1||package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix|
|1‑1/4||cups milk, divided|
|1/2||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|8||to 10 fresh flowers (stems removed)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 (8-inch) square cake pans; line bottoms of pans with waxed paper.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs and flavoring in medium bowl; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add mashed banana; mix well. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Place whipping cream in medium bowl; beat at high speed of electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form, about 15 seconds.
- Combine cream cheese, pudding mix and 1/4 cup milk in large bowl; beat at low speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add remaining 1 cup milk and nutmeg. Increase speed to medium; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until needed.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spoon 3/4 cup pudding mixture evenly over top. Peel, slice and arrange banana evenly over cake. Top with remaining cake layer; top with remaining pudding mixture.
- For garnish, if desired, cut 7-inch circle from waxed paper. Lightly spray both sides of circle with nonstick cooking spray; place circle on top of cake. Arrange flowers on waxed paper as desired. Remove flowers and waxed paper before serving.
For a less fancy variation of this delicious cake, omit flower garnish. Simply peel additional bananas, slice and arrange on cake top immediately before serving. Sprinkle with more nutmeg, if desired.
This recipe appears in: Cakes