YIELD Makes 1 loaf, coffeecake, or 18 rolls
|1/2||to 3/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|1||package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|2‑3/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|2||tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder|
|2||tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into 2 pieces|
|1||large egg, beaten|
|Vegetable oil or melted butter|
- Combine 1/4 cup of the water, 1 tablespoon of the sugar and yeast. Stir to dissolve yeast and let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Fit processor with steel blade. Measure flour, dry milk, butter, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and salt into work bowl. Process until mixed, about 15 seconds. Add yeast mixture and egg; process until blended, about 10 seconds.
- Turn on processor and very slowly drizzle just enough remaining water through feed tube so dough forms a ball that cleans the sides of the bowl. Process until ball turns around bowl about 25 times. Turn off processor and let dough stand 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn on processor and gradually drizzle in enough remaining water to make dough soft, smooth and satiny but not sticky. Process until dough turns around bowl about 15 times.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place (85°F) until doubled, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Shape into rolls, loaf or coffeecake, as desired. Place in greased pan or on greased cookie sheet. Brush with oil. Let stand in warm place until doubled, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes for rolls, 20 to 30 minutes for loaf or coffee cake. Remove immediately from pan or cookie sheet to wire rack. Brush crust with oil, if desired. Cool. Frost or decorate as desired.
The bread machine is a great invention because it gives the everyday gourmet the tools to make great breads and pastries. Learn how to use your bread machine with our collection of recipes.
Making quick breads are simple, especially if you follow our easy-to-use ingredients list and baking instructions.