Stand Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1||ounce pine nuts (about 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) or slivered almonds (about 1/4 cup)|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|3/4||pound 95% lean ground beef|
|1||cup chopped yellow onion|
|1/3||medium eggplant (about 8 ounces), peeled and cubed|
|1||cup chopped red bell pepper|
|1||can (8 ounces) tomato sauce with herbs|
|3/4||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4||teaspoon ground allspice|
|1||cup uncooked instant rice|
- Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add pine nuts; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until pine nuts begin to lightly brown. Remove to plate; set aside.
- Spray same skillet with cooking spray. Add beef and onions; cook and stir about 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Add eggplant and bell pepper; coat lightly with cooking spray. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until eggplant is crisp-tender.
- Add water; stir to blend. Add tomato sauce, cinnamon and allspice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover tightly; simmer 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender and mixture has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Remove beef mixture from heat; stir salt and pine nuts into mixture. Cover tightly; let stand 5 minutes. Serve beef mixture over rice.
|Serving Size:||1 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup cooked rice|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Calories from Fat||27 %|
Learn new and exciting ways to cook chicken that will surprise and delight your friends and family by following our chicken recipes.
Chicken Cacciatore with Rice from Hunt's combines tender chicken breast with sauteed onions, mushrooms and tomatoes, all served over fluffy rice. It makes a great weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy.