YIELD Makes one (9-inch) pie
|2‑1/3||cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|3/4||cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided|
|1/2||teaspoon baking powder|
|3/4||cup plus 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, divided|
|4||to 5 tablespoons ice water|
|7||medium Jonathan or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced|
|1||tablespoon lemon juice|
|1‑1/4||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|1||tablespoon sour cream|
- Combine 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl until well blended. Cut in 3/4 cup butter using pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to flour mixture. Toss with fork until mixture holds together. Form dough into 2 discs. Wrap discs in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Working with 1 disc at a time, roll out dough on lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin into 12-inch circle, 1/8 inch thick. Ease dough into 9-inch glass pie plate. Do not stretch dough. Trim dough leaving 1/2-inch overhang; brush with egg white. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place apple slices in large bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine remaining 1/3 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended. Add to apple mixture; toss to coat apples evenly. Spoon filling into prepared pie crust; place remaining 3 tablespoons butter on top of filling.
- Moisten edge of dough with water. Roll out remaining disc. Place onto filled pie. Trim dough, leaving 1/2-inch overhang.
- Flute edge. Cut slits in dough at 1/2-inch intervals around edge to form flaps. Press 1 flap in toward center of pie and the next out toward rim of pie plate. Continue around edge. Cut 4 small slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- Combine egg yolk and sour cream in small bowl until well blended. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Bake 35 minutes. Brush egg yolk mixture evenly on pie crust with pastry brush. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Store loosely covered at room temperature 1 day, or refrigerate up to 4 days.
Read these articles and recipes to learn how to make the best cookie bars in the world.
Whether you need to say "happy birthday", "congratulations", "welcome home" or anything in between, check out our cake recipes for the perfect cake for any occasion.