Black Bean Dip
Makes 3 cups
|3/4||cup uncooked black beans, rinsed and sorted|
|1||tablespoon vegetable oil|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2||cup thick and chunky salsa (medium or hot)|
|1||can (4 ounces) chopped mild or hot chili peppers, well drained|
|1||tablespoon lime juice|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|1/8||teaspoon hot pepper sauce|
- To quick soak beans, place beans in large saucepan; cover with 4 inches water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 1 hour; rinse and drain.
- Add 2 cups fresh cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Transfer onion and garlic to food processor. Add beans, salsa, chilies, lime juice, salt, black pepper and hot pepper sauce; process until almost smooth, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Cover; refrigerate 2 hours to allow flavors to blend. Top with sour cream and serve with tortilla chips. Garnish, if desired.
Substitute 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, for dried beans and preceed with step 3, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Mexican