YIELD Makes 2 to 4 servings
|2||Cornish hens, thawed if frozen (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds each)|
|1/4||cup soy sauce|
|2||tablespoons dry sherry|
|2/3||cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided|
|1/4||cup vegetable oil|
|1||piece fresh ginger (about 1 inch square), peeled and cut into 4 slices|
|2||cloves garlic, crushed|
|1||cup chicken broth|
|1||large yellow onion, coarsely chopped|
|12||ounces fresh snow peas, trimmed|
|Yellow squash, zucchini, carrot and red bell pepper crescents for garnish|
- Remove neck and giblets from hens; wrap and freeze for another use. Rinse hens and cavities under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels. Cut each hen into quarters, removing backbone and breast bone.
- To prepare marinade, combine soy sauce, sherry and sugar in large bowl; mix well. Add hen quarters; stir to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to marinate, stirring occasionally.
- Drain hens and reserve marinade. Place 2/3 cup cornstarch in shallow dish or pie plate. Coat hens with cornstarch. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch with marinade; mix well.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat about 1 minute or until hot. Drizzle oil into wok and heat 30 seconds. Add ginger and garlic; cook and stir about 1 minute or until oil is fragrant. Remove and discard ginger and garlic with slotted spoon. Add hens to oil and fry about 10 to 15 minutes or until well browned on all sides, turning occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and onion to wok; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer hens about 20 minutes or until fork-tender, turning occasionally. Move hens up side of wok and add snow peas to bottom of wok. Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until peas are crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to wok. Cook and stir until sauce thickens and boils. Transfer to serving platter. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Don't you dare go to fast-food taco restaurants when you can learn to cook authentic Mexican cuisine from your own kitchen.
You don't need a PhD in cooking to prepare authentic European cuisine, because all you have to do is follow our recipes.