YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1||can or bottle (12 ounces) beer (not dark)|
|4||bratwurst (about 1 pound)|
|1||sweet or Spanish onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|4||hot dog rolls|
- Prepare coals for direct grilling.
- Pour beer into heavy medium saucepan with ovenproof handle. (If not ovenproof, wrap heavy-duty foil around handle.) Place saucepan on grill.
- Pierce bratwurst with knife; add to beer. Simmer, uncovered, over medium coals 15 minutes, turning once during cooking.
- Place onion rings on heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold sides of foil over rings to enclose. Place packets on grill. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until onion rings are tender.
- Transfer bratwurst to grill. Remove saucepan from grill; discard beer. Grill bratwurst 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through, turning once during grilling.
- Place bratwurst in rolls. Top with onions. Garnish as desired.
Learn how to prepare traditional Northeastern meals and dishes that will delight even the staunchest Yankee stomach.
Learn how to make authentic Southwestern foods by following our easy-to-cook recipes that will help to spice up your next meal.