YIELD Makes 4 servings
Shiitake mushrooms, sold dried in the Asian section of grocery stores and occasionally found fresh in some produce departments, have a deep rich flavor unlike familiar white mushrooms.
|1‑1/2||ounces dried shiitake mushrooms|
|6||ounces thin dried egg noodles|
|3/4||pound chicken tenders|
|1/4||cup dry sherry|
|1/4||cup reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|2||teaspoons dark sesame oil|
|1/8||to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|4||cups broccoli florets|
|1||medium onion, halved and sliced into 1/4-inch slices|
|4||teaspoons chopped fresh ginger|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||teaspoon olive oil|
- Place mushrooms in small bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 30 minutes or until caps are soft. Drain mushrooms; squeeze out excess water. Discard stems. Slice caps into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in large saucepan. Add noodles; boil 8 minutes, or until tender. Rinse in cold water; drain and set aside.
- Slice tenders diagonal into 1/2-inch-wide pieces. Combine water, sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil and crushed pepper in small bowl.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over high heat. Add half the chicken; stir-fry 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add broccoli, onion and 1/4 cup water to skillet. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes (add water, 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time, if skillet cooks dry). Remove; keep warm.
- Remove skillet from heat; add ginger, garlic and olive oil. Return to heat; stir-fry 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add soy sauce mixture; bring to a boil. Return chicken and vegetables to skillet. Add mushrooms and noodles; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes until heated through.
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Calories from Fat||18 %|
Contrary to popular belief, Southern cuisine does not have to involve frying everything (but it helps in many cases). Learn the secrets of country cooking with our Southern recipes. Y'all enjoy.
You don't need a PhD in cooking to prepare authentic European cuisine, because all you have to do is follow our recipes.