YIELD Makes 4 servings
|12||dried shiitake mushrooms|
|2||whole red snapper (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds each), scaled and gutted|
|6||tablespoons slivered fresh ginger, divided|
|2||tablespoons dark sesame oil|
|2‑1/2||cups water, divided|
|2||teaspoons vegetable oil|
|1/2||cup julienned carrots, divided|
|4||green onions, thinly sliced (reserve sliced green tops for garnish)|
|2||red chili peppers,* seeded and thinly sliced|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2||cup rice wine vinegar|
|2||tablespoons fish sauce|
|2||tablespoons soy sauce|
|Bell pepper and carrot cut-outs for garnish|
- Place mushrooms in bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain mushrooms, reserving 1/2 cup water. Squeeze out excess water from mushrooms; discard any tough parts. Strain soaking water and set aside.
- Rinse each snapper and pat dry with paper towels. Trim off fins and cut "V" in tail. Make 3 slashes along each side. Rub salt inside and outside of each snapper. Fill each cavity with 1-1/2 teaspoons ginger. Rub both sides of each fish with sesame oil. Wrap foil around tails.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup water in small cup; mix well. Set aside.
- Adjust broiler rack to 6 inches from heat source. Preheat broiler. Place fish on broiler pan; broil approximately 10 minutes on each side for 2-inch snapper. Fish should flake easily when tested with fork. Transfer fish to serving platter.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add carrots, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish. Add remaining ginger, green onions, mushrooms, chilies and garlic; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes. Add remaining 2 cups water, reserved mushroom water, sugar, vinegar, fish sauce, and soy sauce to wok; bring to a boil.
- Stir cornstarch mixture; stir into wok. Continue to boil 1 minute after sauce thickens and becomes clear. Pour hot sauce over fish; sprinkle with reserved green onion and carrots. Garnish, if desired.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini from Hunt's features tender zucchini shells, stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage, tomatoes, zucchini and onions and topped with Parmesan cheese. It makes a great weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy.