Makes 34 to 38 servings
|9-1/2||cups cake batter|
|1||(10-inch) round cake board, covered|
|1||container (16 ounces) white frosting, divided|
|1||container (16 ounces) chocolate frosting|
|1||to 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2-quart ovenproof bowl and 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Pour 4 cups cake batter into prepared bowl; pour 2-3/4 cups cake batter into each cake pan. Bake cake in bowl 60 to 70 minutes and cakes in pans about 35 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans. Loosen edges; invert onto wire racks and cool completely.
- Trim flat side of bowl cake and tops of round cakes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup white frosting; set aside. Blend 1/4 cup chocolate frosting with remaining white frosting to create tan color.
- Place one round cake layer on prepared cake board. Frost with tan frosting. Top with second round cake layer; frost with chocolate frosting. Place bowl cake, flat side down, on top of chocolate frosted layer; frost with tan frosting.
- Flatten gumdrops with rolling pin on smooth, flat surface or sheet of waxed paper sprinkled with sugar. Roll until very thin (about 1/16 inch), turning frequently to coat with sugar. Cut ruffled edge on gumdrops with sharp knife or scissors; tuck underneath chocolate frosted layer to resemble pickles or lettuce.
- Divide reserved white frosting in half; tint half red and half yellow. Using medium writing tip, pipe frosting around edges of bowl cake to resemble ketchup and mustard. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on top of cake.
Check out more recipes for Cooking with Kids