YIELD Makes one 2-layer cake
|1‑1/2||cups granulated sugar, divided|
|1/2||cup boiling water|
|2‑1/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||tablespoon baking powder|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) butter, softened|
|1/2||teaspoon almond extract|
|Caramel Frosting (recipe)|
|Caramelized Sugar Shapes for garnish (recipe)|
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar in heavy 8-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and golden brown. Reduce heat to low. Gradually stir boiling water into sugar mixture; continue cooking until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour two (8-inch) round cake pans.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl at medium speed with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and almond extract. Gradually add sugar syrup, mixing until well blended. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in egg white mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Prepare Caramel Frosting.
- Place one cake layer on plate. Tuck small strips of waxed paper under cake to keep plate clean while frosting cake. Spread top of layer with Caramel Frosting. Top with second layer. Frost top and side with remaining frosting. Remove waxed paper strips. Garnish with Caramelized Sugar Shapes, if desired.
Learn how to make all kinds of cheesecake - everything from the plain cheesecake to the extra-duty, tooty fruity cheesecake - and everything in between.
Make a batch of mint cookies that will amaze and delight your friends and family with your prowess in the kitchen.