YIELD Makes about 8 servings (about 16 blintzes)
Blintzes are thin pancakes that traditionally encase a rich cheese filling. They are similar to French crêpes, but are browned on only one side.
|1||cup all-purpose flour|
|1/2||cup butter or margarine, divided|
|1||container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese|
|2||packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened|
|1/4||teaspoon almond extract|
|Fresh fruit or cherry pie filling|
|Sour cream (optional)|
- To prepare blintz batter, combine eggs, milk, flour, cornstarch and salt in food processor or blender container; process just until smooth. Pour into 1-quart glass measure; set aside.
- Coat bottom of 7- or 8-inch nonstick skillet with butter. Heat skillet over medium heat until butter sizzles.
- Remove skillet from heat. For each blintz, pour about 3 tablespoons batter into bottom of hot pan, swirling pan to cover bottom. Return skillet to heat. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until bottom of blintz is browned. Invert pan over large heatproof plate, flipping blintz onto plate. Rub butter over browned surface of cooked blintz.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with remaining batter, stacking and buttering cooked blintzes on plate.
- To prepare cheese filling, beat ricotta cheese, cream cheese, sugar and almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed just until blended.
- To fill blintzes, place 2 tablespoons filling in center on unbrowned side of each blintz. Fold in sides about 1 inch, then fold in opposite edges to enclose filling and form rectangular shape.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add blintzes in batches and cook 2 minutes per side, until heated through. Serve warm topped with fruit and sour cream, if desired.
You Might Also Like
Don't you dare go to fast-food taco restaurants when you can learn to cook authentic Mexican cuisine from your own kitchen.
Contrary to popular belief, Southern cuisine does not have to involve frying everything (but it helps in many cases). Learn the secrets of country cooking with our Southern recipes. Y'all enjoy.