Cherry and Almond Coffeecake
Makes 1 (12-inch) coffeecake
|1||sheet (1/2 of 17-1/4-ounce package) frozen puff pastry|
|1||package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened|
|1/3||cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided|
|1/4||teaspoon almond extract|
|1/2||cup dried cherries or cranberries, coarsely chopped|
|1/2||cup sliced almonds, divided|
- Thaw pastry sheet according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, egg yolk and almond extract in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth; set aside. In separate small bowl, mix egg white and water; set aside.
- On lightly floured board, roll out pastry into 14X10-inch rectangle. Spread cream cheese mixture over dough leaving 1-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with cherries. Reserve 2 tablespoons almonds; sprinkle remaining almonds over cherries.
- Starting with long side, loosely roll up dough jelly-roll style. Place roll on baking sheet, seam side down. Form into circle, pinching ends together. Using scissors, cut at 1-inch intervals from outside of ring toward (but not through) center. Twist each section half a turn, allowing filling to show.
- Brush top of ring with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with reserved almonds. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Using large spatula, carefully remove ring to wire rack. Cool 15 minutes; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
Check out more recipes for Coffeecakes