Cherry Buttermilk Loops
Makes 16 rolls
|1/3||cup chopped dried cherries|
|1/4||cup soaking liquid from cherries|
|3||tablespoons butter, softened|
|3||cups bread flour|
|2||teaspoons active dry yeast|
|1/4||cup cherry preserves, large cherry pieces chopped|
|1-1/3||cups powdered sugar|
|1/4||cup sliced almonds, toasted*|
*To toast almonds, spread in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Place cherries and water in small microwavable bowl; cover. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds; let stand 5 minutes. Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup soaking liquid for dough.
- Measuring carefully, place all dough ingredients in bread machine pan in order specified by owner's manual, adding cherries with flour. Program dough cycle; press start. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets; set aside.
- When cycle is complete, punch down dough; remove to lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in additional bread flour to make dough easy to handle. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Gently roll and stretch each piece into 7-inch-long rope. Shape each rope into half-figure-eight loop and place on prepared baking sheets. Cover with clean towel; let rise in warm, draft-free place 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, heat preserves in small saucepan over low heat just until slightly warmed and softened, but not melted. Remove rolls from oven. Immediately brush entire surfaces generously with warm preserves. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
- Combine powdered sugar and buttermilk in small bowl, stirring until smooth. Place waxed paper under wire racks. Drizzle buttermilk icing over tops of rolls. Sprinkle with almonds.
Substitute dried blueberries for dried cherries and blueberry preserves for cherry preserves.
Check out more recipes for Yeast & Bread Machine