Chicken à la Romanoff
Makes 4 servings
|2||large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split lengthwise into halves|
|1-1/4||teaspoons salt, divided|
|1/4||teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, divided|
|1-1/2||ounces cream cheese, softened|
|1/4||cup sour cream|
|1||tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese|
|1||teaspoon minced fresh chives|
|1/8||teaspoon garlic powder|
|1||cup cooked fine egg noodles|
|1/2||cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour|
|1/4||cup butter or margarine|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Pound with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin to 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, chives, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and garlic powder in small bowl. Add noodles; mix well. Spread 1/4 of noodle mixture over center of each chicken piece; fold sides of chicken over to cover filling. Secure well with several toothpicks. Refrigerate chicken 15 minutes.
- Beat egg and milk in shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture to coat; dip in flour to coat. Refrigerate chicken 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In medium skillet over medium heat, heat butter and oil until butter melts; add chicken. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is golden. Remove chicken from skillet. Brush pan drippings evenly over bottom of 9-inch square baking dish; add chicken. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Meanwhile, prepare Champignon Sauce. Remove toothpicks from chicken. Arrange chicken on serving plate; spoon about 1 cup Champignon Sauce over chicken. Serve with remaining sauce.
Check out more recipes for European