Makes 6 servings
|3||small dried pasilla chilies, toasted, seeded, deveined and rinsed|
|3||small dried mulato chilies, toasted, seeded, deveined and rinsed|
|1-1/2||cups boiling water|
|1/4||cup sesame seeds|
|1||piece cinnamon stick (about 1 inch)|
|1/4||teaspoon whole coriander seeds|
|1/8||teaspoon anise seeds|
|1/4||cup vegetable oil|
|1/4||cup whole unblanched almonds|
|6||whole chicken legs, thighs attached (about 3 pounds)|
|1/2||cup coarsely chopped white onion|
|1||tablespoon tomato paste|
|1-1/2||ounces Mexican chocolate, coarsely chopped|
|1||cup chicken broth|
|Tomato wedges and cilantro sprigs for garnish|
|Green Rice Pilaf (recipe follows, optional)|
- Place pasilla and mulato chilies in medium bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand 1 hour.
- Toast sesame seeds in dry, heavy skillet over medium heat 2 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet. Combine cloves, cinnamon stick, coriander seeds and anise seeds in skillet; toast over medium heat 20 to 30 seconds until they start to change color and become fragrant, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add almonds. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes until brown. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Add raisins. Cook and stir 30 seconds or until puffed. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt. Cook in same skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove to plate. Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from skillet.
- Place raisins in blender; process until finely ground. Coarsely chop almonds; add to blender. Process until finely ground. Add onion and garlic to blender; process until finely ground.
- Process 2 tablespoons sesame seeds with on/off pulses in electric spice grinder to fine powder. Add to blender. Process clove mixture in grinder to fine powder; add to blender.
- Add chilies, 1/3 cup of the soaking water and the tomato paste to blender; process until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add just enough of the remaining soaking water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until blender blade can spin. Discard remaining soaking water.
- Reheat oil in skillet over medium heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add chili mixture. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Add chocolate; cook and stir 2 minutes or until melted. Gradually stir in broth. Cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear, turning chicken occasionally. Sprinkle remaining sesame seeds over chicken just before serving. Garnish, if desired. Serve with Green Rice Pilaf.
Check out more recipes for Mexican