Chocolate Almond Sandwiches
Makes about 2-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies
|1||package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough|
|4||ounces almond paste|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1||container (16 ounces) dark chocolate frosting|
- Let dough stand at room temperature about 15 minutes.
- Combine dough, almond paste and flour in large bowl; beat until well blended. Divide dough into 3 pieces; freeze 20 minutes. On waxed paper or plastic wrap, shape each piece into 1X10-inch log. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. (Or freeze about 1 hour or until firm.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Cut dough into 3/8-inch slices; place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Spread scant 2 teaspoons frosting each on bottoms of half the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Place dab of frosting and sliced almond on top of each sandwich cookie.
Almond paste is a prepared product made of ground blanched almonds, sugar and an ingredient, such as glucose, glycerin or corn syrup, to keep it pliable. It is often used to as an ingredient in confections and baked goods. Almond paste is available in cans and plastic tubes in most supermarkets or gourmet food markets. After opening, wrap the container tightly and store it in the refrigerator.
Check out more recipes for Chocolate