Chocolate-Lovers' Angel Food Cake
Makes one 10-inch tube cake
|1-1/2||cups granulated sugar, divided|
|3/4||cup sifted cake flour|
|1/3||cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1-1/2||teaspoons cream of tartar|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Sift 3/4 cup granulated sugar with flour, cocoa and salt two times; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl at medium speed with electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Blend in vanilla.
- Sift about 1/4 of the cocoa mixture over egg white mixture. Fold cocoa mixture into batter. Repeat with remaining cocoa mixture. Pour into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn pan upside-down and allow cake to cool completely.
- Remove cake from pan; place on serving plate. Dust lightly with powdered sugar, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Cakes