YIELD Makes 20 to 24 cookies
Making cookies this holiday season? Check out these tips for making Christmas cookies.
|1||package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough|
|All-purpose flour (optional)|
|20||to 24 (4-inch) lollipop sticks|
|Royal Icing (recipe)|
|6||ounces almond bark (vanilla or chocolate) or butterscotch chips|
|Assorted small candies|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets; set aside. Remove dough from wrapper according to package directions.
- Sprinkle dough with flour to minimize sticking, if necessary. Cut dough in half. Reserve 1 half; refrigerate remaining dough.
- Roll reserved dough to 1/3-inch thickness. Cut out cookies using 3-1/4- or 3-1/2-inch Christmas cookie cutters. Place lollipop sticks on cookies so that tips of sticks are imbedded in cookies. Carefully turn cookies with spatula so sticks are in back; place on prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool cookies on sheets 2 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare Royal Icing.
- Melt almond bark in medium microwavable bowl according to package directions. Add 1 or more tablespoons shortening if coating is too thick. Hold cookies over bowl; spoon coating over cookies. Scrape excess coating from cookie edges. Decorate with small candies and icing immediately. Place cookies on wire racks set over waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Whether you need to say "happy birthday", "congratulations", "welcome home" or anything in between, check out our cake recipes for the perfect cake for any occasion.
Halloween can be a scary time, but you don't have to be scared in the kitchen because our recipes will be right there to comfort you.