Makes 6 servings
|1||quart plus 2 tablespoons water, divided|
|1||cup dry white wine|
|2||onions, thinly sliced|
|1||stalk celery, chopped|
|3/4||pound ocean perch or snapper fillets|
|1||can (about 14 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained|
|1||tablespoon tomato paste|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|6||to 8 hard-shell clams, scrubbed and soaked|
|1||pound fresh halibut or haddock fillets, skinned and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|2||large potatoes, peeled and chopped|
|2||large ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped|
|1/2||pound fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
- To make fish stock, combine 1 quart water, wine, onions, celery, parsley sprigs and bay leaf in 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low. Add perch; uncover and gently simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain fish stock through sieve into large bowl. Remove perch to plate with slotted spatula; set aside. Discard onions, celery, parsley sprigs and bay leaf.
- Return stock to stockpot; press canned tomatoes with juice through sieve into stockpot. Discard seeds. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, oregano, salt, sugar and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat 20 minutes.
- Combine clams and remaining 2 tablespoons water in large saucepan or stockpot. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes or until clams open; remove clams immediately as they open. Discard any clams with unopened shells. Rinse clams; set aside.
- Add halibut, potatoes and fresh tomatoes to soup mixture in stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Add shrimp to soup mixture in stockpot.
- Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or just until shrimp turn opaque and are cooked through. Flake reserved perch with fork; stir perch, reserved clams and chopped parsley into soup. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size:||about 1-1/2 cups cioppino|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Calories from Fat||12 %|
Check out more recipes for Italian