Makes about 16 servings
|8||slices bacon, chopped|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||green bell pepper, chopped|
|1||red bell pepper, chopped|
|1||cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened|
|1/4||cup lemon juice|
|1/8||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|2||dozen medium cherrystone clams, shucked and chopped; 3 tablespoons clam juice reserved|
|1/4||cup Italian-style bread crumbs|
- Cook and stir bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Set bacon aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from skillet. Cook and stir onion and bell peppers in same skillet over medium-high heat until onion is tender but not brown. Let stand at room temperature to cool slightly.
- Combine butter and lemon juice in small bowl; mix well. Add bacon, onion mixture and ground red pepper.
- In another small bowl, combine clams, reserved clam juice and bread crumbs.
- Place clam shells on baking sheets. Fill clam shells half full with clam mixture and top with 1 tablespoon butter mixture.*
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for Dips & Spreads