YIELD Makes about 4 dozen cookies
|3/4||cup (about 4 ounces) whole blanched almonds|
|2‑1/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2||cup unsalted butter, softened|
|2||teaspoons grated lemon peel|
|1||tablespoon anise seeds|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To toast almonds, spread almonds on baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted and light brown; turn off oven. Let almonds cool slightly; coarsely chop.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping side of bowl often. Stir in brandy and lemon peel. Add flour mixture gradually; stir until smooth. Stir in chopped almonds and anise seeds. Cover and refrigerate dough 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease large baking sheet. Divide dough in half. Shape 1/2 of dough into 12X2-inch log on lightly floured surface. (Dough will be fairly soft.) Pat smooth with lightly floured fingertips. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining 1/2 of dough to form second log. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until logs are light golden brown. Turn off oven. Cool completely on baking sheet on wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut logs diagonally with serrated knife into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices flat in single layer on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes. Turn slices over; bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cut surfaces are light brown and cookies are dry. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely. Store cookies in airtight container up to 2 weeks.
You Might Also Like
Baking biscotti is a breeze with our easy-to-understand recipes. Choose your favorite biscotti recipe and start cooking.
Learn to make butter & sugar cookies with our quick and easy recipes. Butter & sugar cookies make a wonderful dessert or snack.