Southeast Asian Coconut and Lemongrass Broth with Scallops and Shrimp
Episode 42: Monica's Menu
|2 tablespoons||olive oil|
|1||onion, thinly sliced|
|1 tablespoon||finely chopped peeled fresh ginger|
|2||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons||green curry paste|
|1 stalk||fresh lemongrass, coarsely chopped|
|2||fresh kaffir lime leaves|
|1 14-ounce||can unsweetened coconut milk|
|Salt — to taste|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|3 tablespoons||olive oil|
|One 1-pound bunch||asparagus, trimmed, halved lengthwise|
|2||organic carrots, peeled, thinly sliced|
|4 ounces||snow peas, stringed|
|Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish|
- Heat the oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 8 minutes or until soft. Stir in the turmeric. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the green curry paste and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the water, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the coconut milk. Return to a boil over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Strain the sauce through a fine meshed sieve and return the sauce to the saucepan. Discard the solids in the sieve. You will have about 2 ½ cups of sauce. Season the sauce to taste with salt. Cover and keep the sauce warm.
- Place a large non stick sauté pan over high heat and allow the pan to get very hot for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle the scallops and shrimp with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan.
- Place the scallops in the hot pan and fry until dark golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn the scallops over and fry until dark golden brown on the bottom and just cooked through, about 3 minutes longer. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat another large sauté pan over high heat until it is very hot. Add 1 tablespoon/15 ml of oil to the hot pan. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Transfer the shrimp to the same pan with the scallops. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon/15 ml of oil to the same pan that was used to cook the shrimp. Return the pan over high heat.
- Add the asparagus, carrots and snow peas, and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Divide the vegetables among 4 large serving bowls. Divide the shrimp and scallops among the serving bowls. Ladle the broth over the vegetables and seafood. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
Check out more recipes for Asian