Cream Cake with Mixed Fruit Compote and Fresh Yogurt
A refreshing summer dessert with strawberries, cranberries, chilled Champagne, moist cake, and a hint of mint.
Makes 6 to 8
|1||Teaspoon unsalted butter|
|4||large eggs, separated|
|1||cup superfine sugar|
|1||cup all purpose flour|
|2||Teaspoons baking powder|
|Mixed Fruit compote|
|1||basket strawberries, hulled, quartered|
|1/4||cup frozen cranberries, thawed|
|6||Tablespoons chilled dry Champagne|
|Fresh mint leaves, chiffonade|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 10-inch non-stick round springform pan with the butter, and lightly dust with flour.
- To make the sponge cake, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. In another large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and thick.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, and beat into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the beaten egg whites as gently as possible. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake rest for 10 minutes before you remove it from the pan, then let it cool completely on a rack.
- In a medium bow, whisk together the champagne and sugar.
- Using small sharp knife, cut off peel and white pith from oranges. Working over bowl, cut between membranes to release orange segments.
- Combine the fruit with the champagne mixture and macerate for a half hour (or longer). When ready to serve fold in with fresh mint.
Check out more recipes for Cakes