YIELD Makes 6 to 8 servings
|Ginger Dipping Sauce (recipe)|
|1||pound boneless catfish, halibut or cod fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||tablespoon fish sauce|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro|
|2||teaspoons grated lemon peel|
|1||teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger|
|1/8||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|Peanut oil for frying|
|1||head curly leaf lettuce|
|1||medium green or red apple, cut into thin strips or 1 ripe mango, diced|
|1/2||cup fresh cilantro leaves|
|1/3||cup fresh mint leaves|
- Prepare Ginger Dipping Sauce; set aside.
- Process fish pieces in food processor 10 to 20 seconds or just until coarsely chopped. Do not purée. Add fish sauce, garlic, chopped cilantro, lemon peel, ginger and red pepper; process 5 seconds or until combined.
- Rub cutting board with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Place fish mixture on board; pat evenly into 7-inch square. Cut into 16 squares; shape each square into 2-inch patty.
- Heat 1 to 1-1/2 inches oil in Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat until oil registers 360°F to 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Place 4 patties on slotted spoon and lower into hot oil.
- Fry patties in batches 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and fish is opaque in center. (Do not crowd pan. Allow oil to return to temperatur between batches.) Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels; drain.
- Serve with lettuce leaves, apple, cilantro leaves, mint and Ginger Dipping Sauce. To eat, stack 1 fish cake, apple strips, cilantro and mint in center of lettuce leaf. Drizzle with sauce; enclose filling in lettuce leaf.
Contrary to popular belief, Southern cuisine does not have to involve frying everything (but it helps in many cases). Learn the secrets of country cooking with our Southern recipes. Y'all enjoy.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.