- Prepare Basic Sweet Dough as directed through first rising.
- While dough is rising, combine dates and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until most of the water is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts. Cool.
- Punch down dough. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface into a 15X9-inch rectangle. Spread butter over dough. Spread date mixture over butter. Roll up dough jelly-roll fashion, starting on 15-inch side. Pinch seam to seal. Arrange in circle on large greased cookie sheet. Pinch ends of dough together to seal. With scissors, cut 2/3 of the way through ring at 1-inch intervals, leaving center of the ring intact. Gently lay each section on its side, cut side up, to show date filling.
- Brush with oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place (85°F) until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare Sugar Icing. Uncover dough and bake until evenly browned, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Spread with Sugar Icing. Cool.
This recipe appears in: Coffeecakes