YIELD Makes 10 to 12 servings
Your guests will be "tempted" to ask for seconds when they taste these devilishly delicious chicken pies.
|1||package (16 ounces) hot roll mix plus ingredients to prepare mix|
|1||pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|3/4||cup chopped onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1‑1/4||cups sliced zucchini|
|1||can (8 ounces) peeled diced tomatoes, drained|
|1||can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained|
|1||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/2||teaspoon dried oregano leaves|
|Salt and black pepper|
|1||cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese|
|Red food coloring|
- Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover loosely; let stand about 15 minutes.
- Cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink in center; remove from skillet and set aside. Cook and stir onion and garlic in remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet until tender.
- Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, basil and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until excess liquid has evaporated. Stir in reserved chicken; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease baking sheets.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into equal number of 4-inch circles. Combine scraps and reroll dough if necessary. Place half of circles on prepared baking sheets. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture on half the circles; top with remaining circles and seal edges with fork. Cut vents to resemble devil and use dough scraps to make horns, eyes, nose and beard.
- Combine egg yolk and water; brush dough. Add red food coloring to remaining egg yolk mixture. Brush horns and beard with colored egg mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Refrigerate leftovers.
You Might Also Like
Halloween can be a scary time, but you don't have to be scared in the kitchen because our recipes will be right there to comfort you.
Learn new and exciting ways to cook chicken that will surprise and delight your friends and family by following our chicken recipes.