YIELD Makes 1 loaf
|1/4||cup golden raisins|
|1/4||cup chopped candied cherries|
|1/4||cup slivered almonds|
|1/4||cup candied orange peel|
|2||tablespoons brandy or rum|
|1/4||cup warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|4||tablespoons sugar, divided|
|2||packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast|
|4||strips lemon peel (each about 2-1/2 inches)|
|2‑3/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/3||cup cold butter, cut into 5 pieces|
|1/2||teaspoon almond extract|
|2||to 5 tablespoons milk|
|2||tablespoons butter, melted and divided|
|1||large egg white, lightly beaten|
|3||tablespoons powdered sugar|
- Mix raisins, cherries, almonds, orange peel and brandy in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine water, 1 tablespoon of sugar and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Place remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and lemon peel in food processor. Process until peel is minced. Add 2-3/4 cups flour, 1/3 cup cold butter and salt to work bowl. Process until mixed, about 15 seconds. Add yeast mixture, egg and almond extract; process until blended, about 10 seconds.
- With processor on, slowly drizzle in just enough milk through feed tube so dough forms a ball that cleans the sides of the bowl. Process until ball turns around bowl about 25 times. Turn off processor and let dough stand 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn on processor and gradually drizzle in enough remaining milk to make dough soft, smooth and satiny, but not sticky. Process until dough turns around bowl about 15 times.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into ball, cover with inverted bowl or plastic wrap and let stand 20 minutes.
- Knead reserved fruit mixture into dough on well-floured surface. Sprinkle with additional flour, if necessary, to keep dough from becoming sticky. Shape dough into ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place (85°F) until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Roll or pat dough into a 9X7-inch oval on large greased cookie sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Make a crease lengthwise in dough with handle of wooden spoon just off center. Fold smaller section over larger one. Brush top with egg white. Cover; let stand in warm place until almost doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover bread and bake until evenly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove immediately from cookie sheet and place on wire rack. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter onto bread. Sift powdered sugar over bread. Cool.
You Might Also Like
Learn how to cook authentic Asian cuisine with our recipes from all of the major regions in Asia, including Korea, Japan and Malaysia.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.