YIELD Salad 4 to 6 servings; Dressing 3/4 cup
|3 to 4||small beets,tops removed and washed (red and/or golden)|
|1/2||cup olive oil|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1/2||teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning|
|1/4||teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for seasoning|
|1/4||cup sherry or banyuls vinegar|
|1||tablespoon finely chopped shallots|
|1/4||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1/2||cup grapeseed or olive oil|
|1/2||cup toasted, chopped walnuts|
|1||teaspoon minced tarragon|
|1||bunch baby dandelion greens, washed, de-stemmed and cut into bite-size pieces|
|1||bunch rainbow chard, washed, de-stemmed and cut into bite-size pieces|
|Cheese Crisps, recipe follows|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil about 12 inches square. On one half of the square, place the beets, 2 tablespoons olive oil, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Fold the opposite side over to cover the beets; fold all edges to form a tightly sealed packet. Place the packet on a baking sheet, transfer to the oven and cook until beets are tender, about 45 minutes. (Beets are done when a pairing knife is easily inserted into the middle.)
- Remove the beets from the foil packet. When cool enough to handle, rub the skin of the beet gently with a paper towel and remove the skin. Slice the beets into 1/8-inch thick rounds (if possible, use a mandoline) and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the mustard, vinegar, shallots, honey, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and mix well. While the blender is still running, slowly pour the oil in a slow, steady stream into the blender to emulsify the mixture. Transfer the dressing to a mixing bowl and stir in the walnuts.
- Pour 2 tablespoons (or more to taste) of the dressing over the prepared dandelions and chard, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to coat. In a separate mixing bowl, toss the sliced beets in 1 tablespoon of dressing and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the dandelion greens on a plate. Serve with the sliced beets and cheese crisps. If desired spoon more dressing over each salad to taste.
You Might Also Like
Who can pass up a peanut butter cookie? Check out our recipes and you'll be able to share these delectable morsels with all of your friends.
Whether you need to say "happy birthday", "congratulations", "welcome home" or anything in between, check out our cake recipes for the perfect cake for any occasion.