YIELD Salad 4 to 6 servings; Dressing 3/4 cup
|3 to 4||small beets,tops removed and washed (red and/or golden)|
|1/2||cup olive oil|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1/2||teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning|
|1/4||teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for seasoning|
|1/4||cup sherry or banyuls vinegar|
|1||tablespoon finely chopped shallots|
|1/4||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1/2||cup grapeseed or olive oil|
|1/2||cup toasted, chopped walnuts|
|1||teaspoon minced tarragon|
|1||bunch baby dandelion greens, washed, de-stemmed and cut into bite-size pieces|
|1||bunch rainbow chard, washed, de-stemmed and cut into bite-size pieces|
|Cheese Crisps, recipe follows|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil about 12 inches square. On one half of the square, place the beets, 2 tablespoons olive oil, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Fold the opposite side over to cover the beets; fold all edges to form a tightly sealed packet. Place the packet on a baking sheet, transfer to the oven and cook until beets are tender, about 45 minutes. (Beets are done when a pairing knife is easily inserted into the middle.)
- Remove the beets from the foil packet. When cool enough to handle, rub the skin of the beet gently with a paper towel and remove the skin. Slice the beets into 1/8-inch thick rounds (if possible, use a mandoline) and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the mustard, vinegar, shallots, honey, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and mix well. While the blender is still running, slowly pour the oil in a slow, steady stream into the blender to emulsify the mixture. Transfer the dressing to a mixing bowl and stir in the walnuts.
- Pour 2 tablespoons (or more to taste) of the dressing over the prepared dandelions and chard, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to coat. In a separate mixing bowl, toss the sliced beets in 1 tablespoon of dressing and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the dandelion greens on a plate. Serve with the sliced beets and cheese crisps. If desired spoon more dressing over each salad to taste.
Learn how to create the perfect vegetable side dish with only a few simple ingredients in a few precious minutes.
There are hundreds of ways to cook pork, so check out our recipes to see which one you'd like to try for your next meal.