|For the gumbo:|
|¼ cup||canola oil|
|3 tablespoons||whole wheat flour|
|2 cups||chopped yellow onions|
|1 cup||chopped green bell peppers|
|1 cup||chopped celery|
|1 teaspoon||cayenne pepper|
|1 teaspoon||chopped fresh thyme leaves|
|Salt and pepper|
|1 pound||Andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch coins|
|1 pound||small okra, stem ends trimmed and sliced 1/2-inch thick or frozen and|
|defrosted sliced okra|
|1 tablespoon||chopped garlic|
|1 cup||chopped tomatoes with their juices|
|10 cups||shrimp or fish stock|
|2 tablespoons||Cajun spice blend, recipe follows|
|2 pounds||medium (26 to 30 count) shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped|
|Quinoa, for serving|
|Chopped Green Onion Tops, for serving|
|Cajun Spice Blend:|
|1 tablespoon||ground black pepper|
|2 tablespoons||chopped dried basil|
|2 tablespoons||dried oregano|
|1 tablespoon||garlic powder|
|1 tablespoon||onion powder|
For the gumbo:
- In a large stock pot or heavy bottom enamel pot over medium heat, add the canola oil and the flour. Stir the mixture until it begins to turn a medium brown color, similar to peanut butter. This should take about 10 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the bay leaves, cayenne and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, add the sausage, okra, garlic, tomatoes and shrimp stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Using a clean ladle, occasionally skim any impurities or foam that rises to the top of the gumbo.
- Season the shrimp with the Cajun spice blend in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp, stir well, and cook until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve immediately over quinoa and garnish with chopped green onions tops, if desired.
Cajun Spice Blend:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
Note: This spice blend can be kept in a resealable jar for up to 6 months.
If you're looking for a great tailgating idea for steak, try this recipe for Jerry Rice and Tony's teriyaki t-bone steak from Kick Off Cook Off.
If you're looking for a delicious surf n' turf recipe, try this recipe for Sharif and Jackie's adobo lime steak and scallops surf n' turf from Kick Off Cook Off.