|For the gumbo:|
|¼ cup||canola oil|
|3 tablespoons||whole wheat flour|
|2 cups||chopped yellow onions|
|1 cup||chopped green bell peppers|
|1 cup||chopped celery|
|1 teaspoon||cayenne pepper|
|1 teaspoon||chopped fresh thyme leaves|
|Salt and pepper|
|1 pound||Andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch coins|
|1 pound||small okra, stem ends trimmed and sliced 1/2-inch thick or frozen and|
|defrosted sliced okra|
|1 tablespoon||chopped garlic|
|1 cup||chopped tomatoes with their juices|
|10 cups||shrimp or fish stock|
|2 tablespoons||Cajun spice blend, recipe follows|
|2 pounds||medium (26 to 30 count) shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped|
|Quinoa, for serving|
|Chopped Green Onion Tops, for serving|
|Cajun Spice Blend:|
|1 tablespoon||ground black pepper|
|2 tablespoons||chopped dried basil|
|2 tablespoons||dried oregano|
|1 tablespoon||garlic powder|
|1 tablespoon||onion powder|
For the gumbo:
- In a large stock pot or heavy bottom enamel pot over medium heat, add the canola oil and the flour. Stir the mixture until it begins to turn a medium brown color, similar to peanut butter. This should take about 10 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the bay leaves, cayenne and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, add the sausage, okra, garlic, tomatoes and shrimp stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Using a clean ladle, occasionally skim any impurities or foam that rises to the top of the gumbo.
- Season the shrimp with the Cajun spice blend in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp, stir well, and cook until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve immediately over quinoa and garnish with chopped green onions tops, if desired.
Cajun Spice Blend:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
Note: This spice blend can be kept in a resealable jar for up to 6 months.
If meat isn't part of your main dish plans, don't worry because we've got you covered. Browse our collection of the best vegetarian meals around.
There are hundreds of ways to cook pork, so check out our recipes to see which one you'd like to try for your next meal.