YIELD 4 servings
|8 ounces||medium-thick flat rice noodles (sometimes marketed as Pad Thai noodles)|
|2 tablespoons||plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar|
|1/2 cup||vegetable broth|
|3 tablespoons||plus 1 teaspoon Southeast Asian fish sauce|
|2 teaspoons||soy sauce|
|2 tablespoons||rice vinegar|
|1 tablespoon||chili garlic sauce|
|1 teaspoon||sesame oil|
|1 teaspoon||tamarind paste|
|1/3 cup||peanut oil|
|2||large eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt|
|12 ounces||shitake mushrooms|
|3/4 teaspoon||crushed red pepper flakes|
|1 cup||cubed firm tofu (about 6 ounces)|
|4 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|5||scallions (white and green parts), 3 cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 2 chopped|
|1 package||enoki mushrooms|
|1/3 cup||salted roasted peanuts, chopped, plus additional for garnish|
|For serving: Lime wedges, Sriracha sauce (Thai hot chili sauce)|
- Put the noodles in a medium bowl with hot water to cover. Soak until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk the brown sugar with the broth, fish sauc, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil and tamarind paste in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot and add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil. Pour in the eggs, tilting the skillet as you pour to make a thin, even coating of egg. Cook until just set, about 45 seconds. Invert the eggs onto a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch strips. Set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of the peanut oil to the same skillet and heat over high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper flakes, and salt to taste. Stir-fry until the mushrooms are golden brown. Add another tablespoon of the peanut oil to the same skillet and heat over high heat. Add the tofu, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper flakes, and salt, to taste. Stir-fry until the tofu is golden brown on all sides.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno, chopped scallion and remaining 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the noodles and cook, tossing, until lightly coated with the garlic mixture, about 1 minute. Add the fish sauce mixture and large scallion pieces and cook until heated through, tossing to combine. Stir in the cooked egg, 1 cup of the enoki mushrooms, and the 1/3 cup peanuts and toss until hot. Divide the Pad Thai among plates and top with the remaining enoki mushrooms and additional peanuts. Serve immediately with the lime wedges and Sriracha sauce.
You Might Also Like
Learn how to cook authentic Asian cuisine with our recipes from all of the major regions in Asia, including Korea, Japan and Malaysia.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.