Farmer's Market Grilled Chowder
The next time you have a cookout, grill extra ears of fresh corn, potatoes and zucchini. Then, the next day, prepare this off-the-grill chowder for lunch or as a do-ahead first course for dinner. This soup is great either hot or at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings
|1||ear fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed|
|1||small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|1/2||cup chopped onion|
|2||tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1/2||teaspoon dried thyme leaves|
|1/8||teaspoon white pepper|
|1||cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth or wheat beer|
|1||cup low-fat (1%) milk|
|1/2||cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese|
- Remove husks and silk from corn. Place in large bowl and cover with cold water; soak 20 to 30 minutes. Remove; wrap in foil. Grill on covered grill over medium-hot coals 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and tender, turning over halfway through grilling time. Remove kernels from cob. Set aside.
- To grill zucchini, spray zucchini on both sides with cooking spray. Grill on uncovered grill over medium coals 4 minutes or until grillmarked and tender, turning once during grilling. Cool; cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Cut potato in half lengthwise; grill potato halves on covered grill over medium coals 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender, turning over once during grilling. Cut potato into cubes.
- Melt margarine in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender but not brown. Stir in flour, salt, thyme and pepper. Cook and stir about 1 minute.
- Stir broth and milk into flour mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble; continue cooking about 1 minute more. Stir in corn, zucchini, potato and cheese. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, until cheese is melted and mixture is hot, stirring constantly. Garnish as desired.
|Serving Size:||about 1 cup chowder|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Calories from Fat||24 %|
Check out more recipes for Chowders