YIELD Makes 10 to 12 servings
Brazil's national dish is perfect for a large casual gathering of friends.
|1‑1/2||pounds (3 cups) dried black beans|
|1||corned beef (3 to 4 pounds)|
|2||pounds pork spareribs or country-style ribs|
|1/4||-pound piece Canadian bacon or 1 meaty ham hock|
|Chili-Lemon Sauce (recipe)|
|1‑1/2||pounds smoked link sausage, such as Polish or andouille|
|1‑1/2||pounds fresh link sausage, such as bratwurst or breakfast links|
|2||medium onions, chopped|
|6||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||jalapeño peppers,* seeded and chopped|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|Steamed Kale (recipe)|
|1||large ripe tomato, chopped|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|6||to 8 cups hot cooked rice|
|Orange slices for garnish|
- Rinse beans thoroughly in colander under cold running water, picking out any debris or blemished beans. Combine beans, corned beef, spareribs, Canadian bacon and water in 12- to 14-quart stockpot.
- Bring bean mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 2 to 3 hours or until beans and meat are very tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Chili-Lemon Sauce.
- Add sausages to bean mixture; cook about 15 minutes or until heated through. Remove corned beef, spareribs, Canadian bacon and sausages to cutting board. Slice corned beef; place in center of large serving platter. Cut remaining meat into cubes and arrange around corned beef. Cover meat and keep warm in 200°F oven.
- Drain liquid from beans, reserving 1 cup liquid. Combine onions, garlic, chilies and oil in large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Remove from heat. Place 2 cups beans in onion mixture. Mash with potato masher or fork. Add remaining beans and reserved 1 cup liquid. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare Steamed Kale. Transfer beans to large serving bowl. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley. Serve with Chili-Lemon Sauce, Steamed Kale and rice. Garnish, if desired.
Don't you dare go to fast-food taco restaurants when you can learn to cook authentic Mexican cuisine from your own kitchen.
Learn how to cook authentic Asian cuisine with our recipes from all of the major regions in Asia, including Korea, Japan and Malaysia.