YIELD Makes 10 to 12 servings
Brazil's national dish is perfect for a large casual gathering of friends.
|1‑1/2||pounds (3 cups) dried black beans|
|1||corned beef (3 to 4 pounds)|
|2||pounds pork spareribs or country-style ribs|
|1/4||-pound piece Canadian bacon or 1 meaty ham hock|
|Chili-Lemon Sauce (recipe)|
|1‑1/2||pounds smoked link sausage, such as Polish or andouille|
|1‑1/2||pounds fresh link sausage, such as bratwurst or breakfast links|
|2||medium onions, chopped|
|6||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||jalapeño peppers,* seeded and chopped|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|Steamed Kale (recipe)|
|1||large ripe tomato, chopped|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|6||to 8 cups hot cooked rice|
|Orange slices for garnish|
- Rinse beans thoroughly in colander under cold running water, picking out any debris or blemished beans. Combine beans, corned beef, spareribs, Canadian bacon and water in 12- to 14-quart stockpot.
- Bring bean mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 2 to 3 hours or until beans and meat are very tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Chili-Lemon Sauce.
- Add sausages to bean mixture; cook about 15 minutes or until heated through. Remove corned beef, spareribs, Canadian bacon and sausages to cutting board. Slice corned beef; place in center of large serving platter. Cut remaining meat into cubes and arrange around corned beef. Cover meat and keep warm in 200°F oven.
- Drain liquid from beans, reserving 1 cup liquid. Combine onions, garlic, chilies and oil in large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Remove from heat. Place 2 cups beans in onion mixture. Mash with potato masher or fork. Add remaining beans and reserved 1 cup liquid. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare Steamed Kale. Transfer beans to large serving bowl. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley. Serve with Chili-Lemon Sauce, Steamed Kale and rice. Garnish, if desired.
Don't you dare go to fast-food taco restaurants when you can learn to cook authentic Mexican cuisine from your own kitchen.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.