Festive Caramel Floral Rolls
Makes 24 rolls
|1||cup packed dark brown sugar, divided|
|5-1/2||to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2||packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast|
|2||teaspoons baking powder|
- Heat water, 1/2 cup brown sugar and shortening in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and shortening is melted. Remove from heat; cool to 120° to 130°F.
- Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and baking powder in large bowl. Add brown sugar mixture and vanilla; beat vigorously 2 minutes. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until dough begins to pull away from side of bowl. Turn out dough onto floured work surface; flatten slightly. Knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding flour, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
- Shape dough into ball. Place in large, lightly oiled bowl; turn dough over to oil surface. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn dough out onto lightly oiled work surface. Divide into 24 equal pieces. Shape pieces into balls. Cover with towel on work surface; let rest 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Roll 12 balls of dough into 10-inch ropes. (Keep remaining balls covered.) Tie 1 (10-inch) rope into knot. Place in center of prepared baking sheet. Form each of remaining 11 ropes into tear drop shape so loose ends touch. Place on baking sheet around dough knot to form daisy-like flower. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 25 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat. When butter begins to bubble, add remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar; stir 3 minutes. Add milk. Bring to a boil without stirring. Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- When bread is done baking, immediately remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack. Using pastry brush, brush each loaf with butter mixture.
Check out more recipes for Rolls & Buns