Fire-Roasted Tomatoes with Gemelli Pasta
Makes 4 (1-1/2-cup) servings
|4||pounds plum tomatoes|
|12||ounces uncooked gemelli, penne, or fusilli pasta|
|1/2||to 1 jalapeño pepper,* seeded and coarsely chopped|
|1||clove garlic, sliced|
|20||large fresh basil leaves|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||ounces reduced-fat goat cheese or 1/4 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese|
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
- Prepare barbecue grill for direct cooking.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Grill tomatoes, skin-side down, over hot coals about 5 minutes or until skin is blackened and tomatoes are very tender. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, remove skins.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain; set aside.
- Combine shallot, jalapeño pepper and garlic in food processor; process until finely chopped. Add tomatoes, basil, oil, salt and black pepper; process until well blended. Return pasta to saucepan; pour sauce over pasta. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Serve immediately.
Tomatoes can be broiled rather than grilled. Preheat broiler; prepare tomatoes as directed in step 2. Place tomatoes, cut side down, on broiler pan. Broil tomatoes 5 minutes or until skin is blackened and tomatoes are very tender.
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Calories from Fat||15 %|
Check out more recipes for Pasta