Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry
YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1||boneless beef top sirloin steak (about 1 pound)|
|2||tablespoons light soy sauce|
|2||tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided|
|3||tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil, divided|
|4||medium carrots, cut into matchstick-size pieces (about 2 cups)|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into chunks|
|1||yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks|
|1||cup chopped onion|
|1/4||to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1||tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar|
|2||teaspoons beef bouillon granules|
|1||teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder*|
|3||cups hot cooked rice|
|1/2||cup honey-roasted peanuts|
- Cut steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin strips. Place beef in shallow glass baking dish. Combine soy sauce and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl. Pour soy sauce mixture over beef; toss to coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil 1 minute in large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until hot. Add carrots. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove carrots and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil, bell peppers, onion and red pepper flakes; stir-fry 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove vegetables and set aside separately from carrots.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add half of beef; stir-fry 2 minutes until beef is barely pink in center. Remove beef to large bowl. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine water, brown sugar, bouillon granules, five-spice powder and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Add bouillon mixture, bell peppers and onions; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Toss rice with carrots; place on serving platter. Spoon beef mixture over rice and sprinkle peanuts over beef mixture.
This recipe appears in: Chinese
You Might Also Like