YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1||boneless beef top sirloin steak (about 1 pound)|
|2||tablespoons light soy sauce|
|2||tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided|
|3||tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil, divided|
|4||medium carrots, cut into matchstick-size pieces (about 2 cups)|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into chunks|
|1||yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks|
|1||cup chopped onion|
|1/4||to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1||tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar|
|2||teaspoons beef bouillon granules|
|1||teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder*|
|3||cups hot cooked rice|
|1/2||cup honey-roasted peanuts|
- Cut steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin strips. Place beef in shallow glass baking dish. Combine soy sauce and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl. Pour soy sauce mixture over beef; toss to coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil 1 minute in large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until hot. Add carrots. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove carrots and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil, bell peppers, onion and red pepper flakes; stir-fry 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove vegetables and set aside separately from carrots.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add half of beef; stir-fry 2 minutes until beef is barely pink in center. Remove beef to large bowl. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine water, brown sugar, bouillon granules, five-spice powder and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Add bouillon mixture, bell peppers and onions; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Toss rice with carrots; place on serving platter. Spoon beef mixture over rice and sprinkle peanuts over beef mixture.
Learn how to prepare traditional Northeastern meals and dishes that will delight even the staunchest Yankee stomach.
You need more than a wok and oil to cook proper Chinese cuisine. Read these articles and learn which ingredients you'll need to prepare authentic Chinese cuisine.