YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1||boneless beef top sirloin steak (about 1 pound)|
|2||tablespoons light soy sauce|
|2||tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided|
|3||tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil, divided|
|4||medium carrots, cut into matchstick-size pieces (about 2 cups)|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into chunks|
|1||yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks|
|1||cup chopped onion|
|1/4||to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1||tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar|
|2||teaspoons beef bouillon granules|
|1||teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder*|
|3||cups hot cooked rice|
|1/2||cup honey-roasted peanuts|
- Cut steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin strips. Place beef in shallow glass baking dish. Combine soy sauce and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl. Pour soy sauce mixture over beef; toss to coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil 1 minute in large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until hot. Add carrots. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove carrots and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil, bell peppers, onion and red pepper flakes; stir-fry 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove vegetables and set aside separately from carrots.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add half of beef; stir-fry 2 minutes until beef is barely pink in center. Remove beef to large bowl. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine water, brown sugar, bouillon granules, five-spice powder and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Add bouillon mixture, bell peppers and onions; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Toss rice with carrots; place on serving platter. Spoon beef mixture over rice and sprinkle peanuts over beef mixture.
Anyone can cook. Take this to heart the next time you embark of trying to cook authentic French cuisine. Read our recipes to find out everything you need to know.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.