This macaroon recipe calls for hazelnuts and oats, because sometimes you feel like a nut.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread hazelnuts in even layer on cookie sheet and bake 8 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Quickly transfer nuts to a clean, dry dishtowel. Fold towel and rub vigorously to remove as much of the skins as possible.
- Finely chop nuts using food processor or chef's knife.
- Combine chopped nuts, oats, cocoa and brown sugar in medium bowl and mix well.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Combine egg whites, vanilla and salt in clean dry medium mixing bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in nut mixture with spatula.
- Drop level tablespoons of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until tops of cookies no longer look wet.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool and store in loosely covered container.
Yields: 3 dozen cookies