Fresh Limas in Onion Cream
Makes 4 side-dish servings
|1||pound fresh lima beans*|
|1/2||teaspoon instant minced onions|
|1||tablespoon butter or margarine|
|1||small onion, sliced into rings|
|1/3||cup sour cream|
|Salt and pepper|
|2||teaspoons sliced pimiento|
*Or, use a 10-ounce package of frozen lima beans, thawed.
- To shell beans, open pods at seams by pinching pods between thumbs and forefingers.
- Remove beans; discard shells.
- Place beans in small, heavy saucepan. Add milk and minced onions. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in small skillet over medium-high heat until melted and bubbly. Cook and stir onion rings in hot butter until golden. Stir sour cream into cooked beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir in pimiento. Stir onion rings into lima bean mixture.
- Transfer to warm serving dish. Garnish as desired. Serve immediately.
Check out more recipes for Vegetable Side Dish