Golden Eggnog Holiday Braid
Making cookies this holiday season? Check out these tips for making Christmas cookies.
Makes 1 loaf
|2||tablespoons warm water (15° to 115°F)|
|1||package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|2-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|2||tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into 2 pieces|
|1/4||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1/2||to 3/4 cup dairy eggnog, at room temperature|
- Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in small bowl. Stir to dissolve yeast and let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Fit processor with steel blade. Measure flour, butter, salt and nutmeg into work bowl. Process until mixed, about 15 seconds. Add yeast mixture; process until blended, about 1 seconds.
- Turn on processor and very slowly drizzle just enough eggnog through feed tube until dough forms a ball that cleans side of bowl. Process until ball turns around bowl about 25 times. Turn off processor and let dough stand 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn on processor and gradually drizzle in enough remaining eggnog to make dough smooth and satiny but not sticky. Process until dough turns around bowl about 15 times.
- Let dough stand in work bowl 1 minutes. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and shape into ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place (85°F) until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Let stand 1 minutes. Divide into 3 equal parts. Shape each part into strand 2 inches long. Braid strands together; tuck ends under and pinch to seal. Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush with oil and let stand in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Brush braid with eggnog and sprinkle with almonds. Bake until golden, 25 to 3 minutes. Remove braid from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.
Check out more recipes for Christmas