These buttery Greek cookies are popular at both Christmas and Easter!
40 to 50 small cookies
|1||pound of unsalted butter (1 cup is equal to 4 sticks)|
|1-1/2||cups granulated sugar|
|3||large eggs (2 eggs for the dough; 1 for the egg wash)|
|2||tablespoons orange juice|
|2||teaspoons baking powder, sifted|
|4||cups all-purpose flour, sifted|
|1/2||cup sesame seeds|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a cookie sheet with butter or line it with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a regular bowl with a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the 2 eggs slowly, one at a time, mixing on low speed.
- Add the orange juice and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the baking powder and all-purpose flour slowly, mixing slowly until a thick dough forms.
- Remove dough from mixer bowl, and place it on top of a lightly floured surface. Knead cookie dough with your hands for 2-3 minutes and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Take a small piece of dough the size of a golf ball and roll into a long strip. Fold the strip over, braid the dough, and shape into a twist, wreath, or any other desired shape.
- Beat the remaining egg for the egg wash, and brush the egg over the cookies. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of each cookie.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes and enjoy!
Check out more recipes for Christmas