Hanukkah Honey Cake
YIELD Makes 12 to 14 servings
A beautiful menorah tops this delicious honey spice cake.
|3/4||cup packed brown sugar|
|3/4||cup vegetable oil|
|2/3||cup strong coffee|
|3||cups all-purpose flour|
|1‑1/2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1||teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2||teaspoon ground allspice|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|3/4||cup chopped walnuts|
|1‑1/2||teaspoons grated orange peel|
|1||teaspoon grated lemon peel|
|2||containers (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting|
|Yellow food coloring|
|1||(13X9-inch) cake board, covered, or large tray|
|Pastry bag and medium writing and star tips|
|8||small white candles|
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour 13X9-inch baking pan.
- Beat eggs in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Beat in brown sugar and oil. Add honey and coffee; stir well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in small bowl; add to batter and stir well. Stir in walnuts and grated peels. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until cake is golden and wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan to rack; cool.
- If cake top is rounded, trim horizontally with long serrated knife. Place cake on prepared cake board. Frost top and sides of cake with 1 container frosting.
- Using diagram as guide, cut pattern from waxed paper. Position pattern on cake as shown in photo. Trace around pattern with wooden toothpick; remove pattern.
- Tint remaining container frosting yellow. To tint frosting, add small amount of desired food coloring; stir well. Slowly add more coloring until frosting is desired shade. Spoon frosting into pastry bag fitted with medium writing tip. Outline menorah pattern with frosting. Using star tip, fill in menorah and pipe decorative border around edge of cake. Insert candles.
This recipe appears in: Jewish
You Might Also Like