Makes 4 servings
|1||pound maple-flavored or regular pork sausage|
|2||acorn squash (about 2 pounds each)|
|1||cup cooked rice|
|1/2||cup dried cranberries|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed chicken broth, divided|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 11X7-inch casserole; set aside.
- Crumble sausage into skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat until brown. Remove from heat and drain off drippings.
- Meanwhile, pierce both squash in several places using sharp knife. Microwave on HIGH 8 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking time. When cool enough to handle, cut 1/2 inch off top and bottom of each squash. Cut each squash horizontally. Remove seeds and membrane. Place rings into prepared casserole.
- Add rice, cranberries, salt, cinnamon and pepper to sausage. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth to sausage to moisten. Spoon sausage mixture into squash rings. Pour remaining broth into casserole around rings.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
For a side-dish casserole, eliminate pork sausage and double the rice.
Check out more recipes for Pork