YIELD Makes 4 to 6 servings
|1/4||cup hoisin sauce|
|2||tablespoons finely chopped green onion tops|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|1||teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder|
|1‑1/2||teaspoons sesame oil, divided|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||whole frying chicken (3-1/2 pounds)|
|1/2||cup uncooked white rice|
|1/2||cup packed brown sugar|
|1/4||cup dried tarragon leaves|
|3||bay leaves, crushed|
- Combine hoisin sauce, green onion, soy sauce, sugar, 5-spice powder, 1 teaspoon oil and garlic in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Rinse chicken and cavity under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels. Skewer neck skin to back and bend chicken wings underneath.
- Fill body cavity with hoisin mixture and close opening with skewers. Tie chicken legs together with string. Place chicken, breast side up, on shallow 9-inch baking dish or pie plate.
- To steam chicken, place wire rack in wok. Add water to 1 inch below rack. (Water should not touch rack.) Cover wok; bring water to a boil over high heat. Place dish with chicken on rack. Cover and reduce heat to medium-high. Steam chicken 45 minutes or until juices in thighs are golden when pierced with fork or meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh, but not near bone, registers 180° to 185°F. Add boiling water to wok to keep water at same level, if necessary. Carefully remove dish from wok.
- Let chicken cool about 20 minutes or until easy to handle. Remove rack from wok and discard water. Rinse wok and dry. Line wok with 32- to 34-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil, allowing excess to extend evenly above wok edge. Place rice, brown sugar, tarragon and bay leaves in bottom of wok on foil; mix well. Place wire rack over rice mixture.
- Transfer chicken to plate; pour chicken juices from dish into small saucepan. Remove skewers and string from chicken. Drain hoisin mixture from body cavity into same saucepan; set aside juice mixture. Place chicken on wire rack in wok. Bring two cut edges of foil up over chicken and fold together to seal at top, leaving space on top of chicken for smoke to circulate.
- Fold and crimp foil on each side of chicken to seal and enclose chicken in foil package. (Turn on exhaust fan or open window.) Cover wok and heat over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until wok begins to smoke. Reduce heat to medium-low and smoke chicken 20 minutes or until chicken is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, skim off fat from chicken juice mixture; discard. Bring to a boil over medium heat; keep warm. Unwrap chicken. Transfer chicken to serving platter. Brush chicken lightly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil. Serve with warmed juice mixture.
This recipe appears in: Asian
You Might Also Like